University of Sherbrooke
University of Sherbrooke
Located in Canada, in the Province of Quebec, the Université de Sherbrooke is a French-speaking institution that offers you the opportunity to benefit from an academic education that is recognized and valued around the world. The Université de Sherbrooke is host to more than 31 000 students, and another 10 000 who are registered at the University of the Third Age. The Université de Sherbrooke has been welcoming international students ever since it was founded and each year the numbers increase. Currently, more than 1600 foreign students from 88 countries worldwide attend the Université de Sherbrooke. More than 82 % of the students enrolled at the Université are from outside Sherbrooke. There are 6 612 employees at the Université de Sherbrooke, including 3400 professors, lecturers and the clinical professors at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
Sustainable Development at UdeS: https://www.usherbrooke.ca/developpement-durable/
Examples of sustainable practices at UdeS (see here for the full list 07/2020):
- In 2007, UdeS created the position of Vice-Rector of Administration and Sustainable Development. To meet its sustainable development ambitions, it implemented and coordinated a plan comprising 7 strategies and over 300 actions.
- A critical mass of researchers have worked on unifying themes related to sustainable development, such as Climate Change, the Environment, or Togetherness.
- Since the Kyoto Protocol, UdeS has reduced its GHG emissions by 30% despite a growth of more than 60% in its student population. The University also adopted a strategy to become carbon neutral by 2030.
- Its program to provide universal access to public transit for students was renewed in 2020, and an incentive program to get employees to use public transit was introduced on all three campuses. UdeS is investing in the Centre de mobilité durable de Sherbrooke.
- Many student groups contribute to on-campus sustainable development projects such as the Campus durable, Ruche Campus, and Jardin collectif. Different initiatives also go beyond the University’s walls, such as Hoola One, Free Go Frigo refrigerators and La Déraille cooperative.
- The University has the largest array of solar panels for applied research in Canada and has invested in the Créneau d’excellence en technologies propres.
- With its diverse programs and team of recognized specialists, the Centre universitaire de formation en environnement et en développement durable has created an interdisciplinary space for training, reflection and action for a more responsible society.
- Participation in STARS Accreditation system which also recognizes the quality of the University’s campus design, transportation and waste management measures.
- UdeS is a leader in green procurement for Quebec’s public-sector supply networks.
- The University also stands out in terms of the social aspects related to sustainable development.