University of Washington
Seattle, Washington, United States
“We approach environmental problems from a multi-dimensional point of view, and we try to think about the full complexity of these issues, pulling connections and expertise from a variety of sources."
- Dean Lisa Graumlich, College of the Environment
The University of Washington fosters sustainability through an institutional approach that continually embraces multiple stakeholders as a part of the planning process. Sustainability is a significant part of the University’s educational mission, due in large part to student demand, engagement and activism. This focus on sustainability adds value in recruiting the best faculty, students and research support.
- 2007 : Former President Emmert signs the American College & University Presidents’ Climate Commitment (ACUPCC)
- 2009 : UW Climate Action Plan (CAP) submitted to ACUPCC
- 2011 : CAP oversight charted 3 sub-committees to develop policies reformation of the Environmental Stewardship Committee (ESC)
- 2012 : Executive Order for Environmental Stewardship and Sustainability
Contact for sustainable development activities