The WHO announced that the COVID pandemic was no longer a health emergency on May 23, 2023. However, the emergency left in its wake many challenges that countries are now dealing with, one of them being the increase of mental health issues. Current health systems are having trouble matching the increase in demand related to mental health. Addressing mental health issues as they arise, and preventive measures are key to improving mental health at university and in society, and to avoiding more severe cases.
During this Webinar on 16th November 2023, experts from the IAU HESD Cluster on SDG 3: Good Health and Wellbeing discussed lessons learned from higher education and research, and the role of e-health in reducing the burden on health care systems.
- Chair: Hilligje van’t Land, Secretary General, International Association of Universities
- Marta Aymerich, eHealth Center Director, Universitat Oberta de Catalunya
- Tania Perich, Senior Lecturer, School of Psychology, Western Sydney University
- Dickens Akena, Senior Lecturer and Psychiatrist, Department of Psychiatry, Makerere University
- Diana Setiyawati, Director of The Centre for Public Mental Health (CPMH) and Leader in the Mental Health working team of Health Promoting University, Universitas Gadjah Mada
- Oscar Mauricio Castaño Ramírez, Psychiatrist, Department of Mental Health and Human Behavior, Universidad de Caldas
- Sofía Seinfeld, Associate professor, Department of Psychology and Educational Sciences, Universitat Oberta de Catalunya
- Carlos Contreras, Professor-Researcher, Department of Sociology, Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana de Mexico