Gender Equality is a crucial issue for society in the 21st century, with more than half of the world’s population being women. Around the globe, universities and other higher education institutions, their leadership, academic and administrative staff, and students, are increasingly mobilized for the United Nations Agenda 2030 and the related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). SDG 5, in particular, is receiving more and more attention, due to its crucial role for the advancement of all of the SDGs and society. IAU and the University of Bologna, Italy, SDG 5 Lead in the IAU Global HESD Cluster, have jointly collected examples of best practice undertake by universities around the world on this topic. The publication is part of a series of publications on university actions for the SDGs, with the overall aim of building new synergies and increasing capacity to act while informing higher education more broadly. Furthermore, it provides evidence to policy and other decision makers in order to stress the important role of higher education for the SDGs.
IAU thanks all the contributors to this publication :
- The University of Bologna, Italy
- UNESP - Sao Paulo State University, Brazil
- Assam Don Bosco University, India
- McMaster University, Canada
- Open University of Catalunya, Spain
- University of Vechta, Germany
- IOHE – Inter-American Organization for Higher Education, Canada
- American International University, Bangladesh
- Birla Institute of Management Technology, India
- Makerere University, Uganda
- Antonio Nariño University, Colombia
- Universities Canada
The University of Bologna leads SDG 5: Gender Equality of the IAU Cluster on HESD.